Now, I have been busy at work making all the festive crafts lately to build-up my stash! So, when I received the new Mini Halloween Hauntings die set from i-Crafter, I just knew I needed to make a fun card with it! However, I knew that I wanted to include a sentiment with it, and I thought it would be fun to do something short and sweet! I ended up stumbling upon the Comic Words die set and I had that lightbulb-turning-on idea!
First, I die cut each of the shapes in the Mini Halloween Hauntings die set 2-3 times from white cardstock. I had thought about just die cutting them directly from black cardstock, because I knew I wanted them all to be black. However, I like how applying ink gives it a more textured and shaded look. So, I took a foam blender, applied some Black Soot Distress Ink, and dabbed the blender over each shape to give it a slightly speckled look. I set these images aside to use for later.
Next, I die cut out (1) B, (2) O’s, and the exclamation point from the Comic Words die set in white cardstock so that they would spell out “BOO!”. I also cut out one of the bursts from the set out of black cardstock. Using a blending brush, I blended each of the edges of the letters orange (and of course the exclamation point too). This created a nice ombré look to them.
For my background, I cut a 4.125″ x 5.375″ piece of white smooth cardstock. I then blended it entirely with Catherine Pooler Bellini dye ink. Next, I took Catherine Pooler Orange Twist ink and blended the edges so that it looked like it was a light to dark orange ombré, from the center going outwards. I spritzed this panel with a little bit of water for some more speckling. To finish this panel off, I took some Orange Twist ink, watered it down a tad, and splattered it onto the panel.
Once my panel was dry, I adhered my Mini Halloween Haunting die cuts to the panel so that they evenly covered it. I wanted to make sure that some of the die cuts went off the side of the panel. Once I was done adhering, I took my scissors to each of the overlapping die cuts and cut trimmed them so they stopped at the same spot as the panel.
I also adhered my “BOO!” sentiment to my black burst, and adhered foam tape to the back of this piece so that it 1) stuck together and 2) would give it a little bit of lift from the panel for that 3D look. I adhered this piece to the center of my card.
To finish this project off, I adhered my panel to an A2-sized piece of black cardstock, which gave the orange panel a nice frame. Then I adhered the whole unit to an A2-sized card base!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram at @justanotebyjustin for all my crafting projects!
Note: This blog does use affiliate links when possible. Please know that I only recommend products that I love and think you’ll love too!